Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Hair

Yes, as odd as it may seem, I would like to talk about hair... Certainly, I have gotten a number of comments regarding my hair change in the past 6 months... From smooth and silky - to dreads.

Now, I understood that my swing from a seemingly conservative look, to an unbrushed hippie, may come as a surprise to some, and will not be accepted and welcomed with hug. BUT! Yesterday, something hit me... I have heard a few of my mom's friends ask whether my dreads are "un-doable" or if I have permanently "ruined" my hair... And I wondered... This is a question from a hair dresser. So the thinking process is this: perms, dyes, heat, and products are all great for hair. Where as natural locs, that are cleansed with baking soda, apple sider vinegar, organic herbal dread soap, and herbs somehow amount to "ruined hair".

There is nothing new in these reactions and thinking, but it's funny that a few years ago, I myself, a habitual, unquestioning cosmetics user, and now watching commercials, ads, and sometimes even looking at women in the street, I wonder... Why are we still so convinced that a full face of make-up is necessary for a daily outing? Do clumpy, gunky eye-lashes really look appealing? What is so great about straight, bleached, dry hair? I suppose, I am overreacting, and dismissing style and fashion... But again, my question, is when will women take the upper hand in conducting fashion and style when it comes to their bodies, faces, hair (whether to remove it or not), and go with what is truly good for them? Is it possible? Am I being a stick in the mud? (Not even sure this is a proper saying for this :))

I wanted to say that I wished women wouldn't feel such need to alter themselves... But then again, am I altering myself with dreads? Or do they truly fit into the "natural" column? Am I expressing feelings of a feminist? Or am I fighting for beauty and perspective equality?


_______________________
www.ariadnakryazheva.com
@OpusImpromptu
Follow on FB

No comments:

Post a Comment